THE BRITISH MODS JET CAR

Discussion in 'Automotive Discussion & Support' started by autofetish, Nov 16, 2007.

1. autofetish

autofetish Member

HELLO PEOPLE ME AND DAVID HAVE DECIDED TO BUILD A JET CAR THE DESIGN IS BASED AROUND A LARGE TURBO CHARGER, IT WILL NOT RUN AT POD IT WILL NOT DO 1/4 OF A MILE IN 7 SECONDS. BUT IT SHOULD MOVE THE WEIGHT OF ONE MAN AND A CART FORWARDS 1MPH AND I WILL BE HAPPY . THE DESIGN IS VERY SIMPLE AND THERE ARE LOADS OF WEBSITE OUT THERE, I PUT A POST UP IN SUPORTING THREADS SO IF ANY ONE DOES FIND A WEB SITE POST IT IN THERE SO ANYONE CAN BUILD ONE IF THEY WANT. IM GOING TO POST UP PICS OF THE BUILD AS IT GETS BUILT. IF ANYTHING IT WILL WARM US ALL UP AT THE WEDNESDAY MEET AND SHOULD BE VERY FUNNY.

FIRST I STARTED TO BUILD A COMBUSTOR, I TOOK A PIECE OF STEEL 5 INCH PIPE I CHECKED FOR CRACKS AND DAMAGE BUT ALL GOOD.

I THEN TOOK A SHEET OF STEEL AND MARKED AND CUT TWO CIRCLES ONE BIG AND I LITTLE . THE LITTLE ONE I CUT OUT THE CENTER SO I HAD A 20MM THICK POLO, WE DRILLED MARKED AND DRILLED A HOLE IN THE POLO ALSO IN THE BIG CIRCLE . WE BOLTED THE LITTLE ONE TO THE BIG ONE AND WELDED NUTS TO THE SMALL POLO AS I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TIGHTEN THEM ONCE THEY ARE IN PLACE. I WELDED THE SMALL POLO TO THE END OF THE POLE. DAVID CAME UP WITH A GOOD IDEA OF USING AN ELECTRICAL SANDER TO FLATEN OFF OUR TWO MATEING SURFACES.
    WHICH WORKED A TREAT.
    WE USED A RUBBER GLOVE AND A BUCKET OF WATER TO PRESSURE TEST THE SYSTEM AND THERE WHERE NO LEAKES.

STILL MISSING A FEW PARTS IF ANY ONE CAN HELP THE GIANT BM MEET HEATER FUND OR KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THEM LET ME KNOW
    ALSO IF ANYONE WANT TO HELP BUILD A TEST IT PM ME YOUR ALL WELCOME TO COME AND GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY

1 X GIANT TURBO OFF BUS OR LORRY PETROL OR DESIEL
    1X OIL COOLER
    1X OIL CATCH TANK
    1X OIL FILTER HEAD THE PART YOU FILTER SREWS INTO
    1X PROPANE BOTTLE + HOSE
    1X 2INCH EXHAUST PIPE ABOUT A 2 FOOT LONG
    3X SOME OLD GAGES OIL PRESSURE BOOST TEMP
    1X CHASSIE OLD KID GO KART

THIS ENGINE SHOULD MAKE 65LB OF TRUST 30MPH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE NEXT PART TO BUILD IS THE FLAME TUBE MORE POSTS SOON
  2. stuart

stuart Administrator

i cant wait to see this in operation and working

good work guys.. a lot of time and effort has gone into this.
  3. Mizzfreestyle

Mizzfreestyle Member

wohooo the boys are back in town
  4. autofetish

autofetish Member

WE GOING TURBO HUNTING TOMORROW ANY ONE KNOW OF A LORRY SCRAP YARDS LOCAL OR SEEN OLD BUSSES PARKED UP COACHES ANY IDEARS ???

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  5. craige_01

craige_01 Member

Thats a wicked project mate. I hope i gt to see it run. How big to these turbos need to be??
  6. david

david Member

why you thinking of offering your in the name of scientific research?

as big as you can get ideally, bigger the turbo, greater the power!!
  7. autofetish

autofetish Member

yeh the bigger the better would like to find a truck one maybe 13inch across would be nice but might have to go with a t3 t4 as there are loads about and there cheap.
  8. autofetish

autofetish Member

9. Sach

Sach Member

lol looking good cant wait to hear and see it
  10. autofetish

autofetish Member

i cant wait to spin a turbo up to 70,000rpm
    and watch it glow
  11. Sach

Sach Member

what turbo u using?
  12. Paul

Paul Member

13. autofetish

autofetish Member

i did have a look at the pulse jet but there a bit simple really and you have to build really big ones to get any real trust . with the turbo one you blow a leaf blower into the induction side this starts eveything spining once the gas has started to combust its force leaving the combustor will spin the exhaust side of the turbo up.As the exhaust side off the turbo is connected to the induction side. you sould be able to remove the leaf blower and it will run all on its own.Then its just a case of pumping more propane in and spining the turbo faster + faster to much propane and the flame will melt the ehaust turbines not enough and it will stall.

havnt got a turbo yet need to find a big one really big
  14. Paul

Paul Member

yea i get the basic idea of what your doing , you really need a scannia turbo

big rig size or bigger.... worth trying to find a big scrapheap or even e-gay might have something like that!

if your having any issues with fixtures or need components made up mate i have access to full workshop facilities , engineer by trade

just give me a shout!
  15. david

david Member

yours!!
  16. catherine

catherine Member

you boys never stop playing do you.....

good work though. :) im secretly excited.. lol
  17. Sach

Sach Member

:eek:

i have aspare turbo at home lol
  18. david

david Member

does it work? do you want it? and how much would you want for it?
  19. Sach

Sach Member

come get it 8)

its a uprated ren 5 one no idea if it works
  20. david

david Member

:pimp: 8) cool